Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Life of Late

We have just been chugging along with life lately. Everyone is healthy, we haven't seen the doctor for a couple of weeks (yay!), and we have mostly been homebodies.
"Monster Jam" was in town over the weekend, so Hopekids sent a bunch of people (Adam and Jon included) to go and see it Friday night. Adam was glad he remembered earphones, he said it was soo loud! Jon is still talking about the trucks. He lasted a little over an hour (it didn't start until 7:30 pm, past Jon's bedtime!), before Adam called it quits (After Jon fell over the chairs TWICE).

We have mad some drastic changes to our diet lately, trying to cut back on meats and processed foods and eating more fruits, vegetables, and grains. I've cleaned out the fridge, freezer, and pantry (no more junk!), and have really enjoyed trying new recipes out. One of my favorites lately is this:
Roasted Vegetables. Yumm. (Photo is pre-roasting. I was too hungry once it was done to take an "after" pic.). The first time I used sweet potatoes and beets. This last time I mixed it up a bit with sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and a variety of baby potatoes.
So, here is the general recipe: (It's really forgiving, I don't actually measure anything)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (375 for non-convection). Peel and dice (about 1/2 inch) 1 small butternut squash, 1 large sweet potato, 6 baby potatoes (I used red, yellow, and a purple), and a large onion (cut this in about 1 inch chunks). (Or, peel and dice 3 large sweet potatoes, 4 large beets, and 1 large onion). Put veggies in a large bowl and toss with 2 T of olive oil, 1 t salt, 1/2 t pepper, 2 t minced garlic, and 1 T brown sugar. Spread veggies out on a cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour (maybe a little more if your oven isn't convection), tossing veggies every 15 minutes. Yummy. I served it with a side of white beans, cooked with a little garlic and salt, and some whole wheat bread. You must try this. So good, really, and the veggies get candied because of that little bit of brown sugar.
Anyway, on to other things. Ash is a busy guy, teething like crazy. He has 6 teeth, and is working on two more. And he doesn't seem to realize that he is a heart baby, and is developing his motor skills soo fast! He crawls, climbs, "cruises", walks pushing his toy, and is now getting brave and standing holding on with just one hand. I give him one month and he'll be walking. He sees the cardiologist again April 26th, and prior to that they will do an MRI to look at his heart. He will get another synagis shot in a week (for RSV). Hibernating has worked, and he hasn't been sick since his croup/ear infection episode.
On the pregnancy front, I missed my last appointment (oops!) because of our little anniversary trip. So, I'll be seeing my midwife on the 1st, and should have my ultrasound in a couple of weeks. The fetal echo still needs to be scheduled, but it will probably be mid-April. That's when they will look at baby's heart and make sure all is well. Lot's of trips to the University and Primary Children's coming up!
Sorry, no great new photos, but I'll try and do a little "shoot" in the next couple of days.

1 comment:

  1. hi Asher
    My name is jenna. I came across your site. you are a brave courageous fighter and an inspiration. I was born with a rare life threatening disease.